This Month in History
- 1814 – Francis Scott Key watched the Battle of Baltimore from a guarded vessel. The events sparked his words that would become the U.S. national anthem.
- 1825 – George Stephenson (considered the Father of Railways) constructed the first locomotive to transport passengers on a public railway.
- 1882 – Thomas Edison created a viable use for electricity when he serviced 59 New York homes.
- 1888 – George Eastman invented the first roll-film camera and registered “Kodak.”
- 1901 – Theodore Roosevelt delivered his “Speak softly, and carry a big stick” speech in Minnesota. This would later define his diplomacy as U.S. President.
- 1908 – Orville Wright completed the first hour-long flight in an airplane.
- 1916 – Clarence Saunders introduced the first supermarket.
- 1926 – Ford Motor Company, under Henry Ford, announced the 40-hour five-day workweek.
- 1954 – “The Catch” by Willie Mays was during Game 1 of the World Series. May’s defensive play kept the game tied and the NY Giants went on to win 5-2 over the Cleveland Indians.
Ways to Celebrate
Make this year special. Here are great ideas for your birthday celebration.
▕ Volunteer Your Time
Is there a better way to celebrate life? Head to the nearest senior center… Arrange a karaoke night and be dubbed ‘hero’ of the month.
▕ Plan a Hunt
Celebrate with your spouse by planning an intimate treasure hunt with clues around a theme of ‘favorites‘… Your favorite chair… Your favorite spice. ..with the final clue leading to your favorite restaurant.
▕ Choose a Good Theme
Plan a party around your birth year, favorite book, or superhero.
▕ Embrace Nature
This is the Fall season… Enjoy the changing climate. Try camping or trail hikes.
It’s a struggle when we’re always on-the-go but definitely worth the effort. Be still. ..and rest awhile.
▕ Send Thanks
Is there a teacher, pastor, or relative who’s helped you be the best you can be? Why not send them a note of thanks.
▕ Try Something New
Here’s an opportunity to explore, learn, and do what you’ve always wanted. What’s on your bucket list?
▕ Celebrate the Entire Month
Your life matters!