This Month in History
- The year 1873 brought the birth of the blue jean.
- “Buffalo Bill,” William F. Cody opened his Wild West Show in 1883.
- In 1884, the Ringling Brothers circus premiered.
- U.S. President Woodrow Wilson proclaimed Mother’s Day as a national holiday in 1914.
- Cheerioats, which became Cheerios, was launched in 1941.
- In 1963, James Whittaker became the first American to conquer Mount Everest.
- In 2010, Jessica Watson became the youngest person to sail solo around the world. She achieved the seven-month voyage at the age of 16.