This Month in History
- 1846 – The Smithsonian Institution was established from a will left by deceased James Smithson.
- 1851 – Isaac Singer patented the sewing machine.
- 1936 – Jesse Owens became a legend (achieving 4 gold medals at the Berlin Olympics).
- 1944 – Smokey Bear began as “spokesman” for wildfire prevention.
- 1946 – The U.S. commemorated Booker T. Washington on the half dollar.
- 1963 – Martin Luther King, Jr. delivered his “I have a dream” speech in Washington, D.C. |Listen|
- 1967 – The U.S. Senate confirmed Thurgood Marshall as Associate Justice of the Supreme Court.
- 1968 – Arthur Ashe won the first US Open men’s championship.
- 1990 – Ken Griffey Sr. and Jr. became the first father-son teammates in MLB history.
- 2007 – Chris Messina invented the use of hashtags.
- 2012 – Usain Bolt made history with back-to-back Olympic wins in the 100m and 200m sprint.
Ways to Celebrate
▕ Celebrate the Entire Month
Your life matters!