This Month in History
- Nellie Bly challenging Jules Verne’s Around the World in 80 days – began her travels in 1889. Ultimately, traveling around the world in 72 days.
- Theodore Roosevelt became the first U.S. President to visit other countries – visiting Puerto Rico and Panama in 1906.
- The first Thanksgiving Parade took place in Philadelphia in 1920.
- U.S. Route 66 was established in 1926.
- Kate Smith introduced Irwin Berlin‘s (revised) classic, “God Bless America,” in 1938. The song was considered by many an anthem of hope and quickly became an American standard.
- Sesame Street premiered in 1969.
- Douglas Engelbart received a patent for the invention of the first computer mouse in 1970.
- Sony launched Playstation 4 (PS4) in 2013 – selling 1 million units within 24 hours.