This Month in History
- In 1844, George Williams (at age 22) formed the Young Men’s Christian Association. The YMCA now operates in over 100 countries.
- In 1863, Harriet Tubman helped more than 700 slaves. She declared it was like seeing…”the children of Israel coming out of Egypt.”
- The first Ferris Wheel premiered at the 1893 World Columbian Exposition.
- In 1896, Henry Ford assembled his first vehicle – known as the Quadricycle. The Ford Motor Company went on to become one of the most recognized car makers.
- United States celebrated its first Father’s Day in 1910. Sonora Smart Dodd (from Spokane, Washington) led the cause.
Ways to Celebrate
Make this year special. Here are great ideas for your birthday celebration.
▕ Volunteer Your Time
Is there a better way to celebrate life? Head to the nearest senior center… Arrange a karaoke night and be dubbed ‘hero‘ of the month.
▕ Plan a Hunt
Celebrate with your spouse by planning an intimate treasure hunt with clues around a theme of ‘favorites‘… Your favorite chair… Your favorite spice. ..with the final clue leading to your favorite restaurant.
▕ Choose a Good Theme
Plan a party around your birth year, favorite book, or superhero.
▕ Embrace Nature
Summer is coming… Enjoy the changing climate. Try camping or trail hikes.
It’s a struggle when we’re always on-the-go but definitely worth the effort. Be still. ..and rest awhile.
▕ Send Thanks
Is there a teacher, pastor, or relative who’s helped you be the best you can be? Why not send them a note of thanks.
▕ Try Something New
Here’s an opportunity to explore, learn, and do what you’ve always wanted. What’s on your bucket list?
▕ Celebrate the Entire Month
Your life matters!